What is the best age to start training a puppy? I’m not sure about this aspect and I’d like to start training my pup myself so I hope you can help me.
Ideally, a puppy can already be trained at around seven weeks old. At a young age, puppies want so much to please their owners. Training him later would be more challenging for any dog owner considering that the dog has already developed many habits or lifestyles normally in a kennel situation. You can do the training on your own as long you research about the right ways to do them. If you don’t have the time and patience to do it, you are free to hire a professional.
2. What’s the best way to potty train a puppy? Should I use a litter box for this purpose? I’m so particular about cleanliness in the house, that’s why I’m asking.
It all depends on your preference. The common ways being practiced are the paper training and litter box training. They’re the easier and cleaner way to teach your dog to develop a consistent toilet habit. Any homeowner would be particular about cleanliness inside the house but if you have the patience to teach your pet where to potty, you will successfully achieve your goal in no time. What’s important is consistency so that you and your dog will live harmoniously inside your home.
3. What are the easiest commands that puppies can follow? And how should I instruct my pet so that he follows what I say?
Short commands are best to use for dog training. Since they can just be a word or two, they’re easy to recognize. The most popular commands are sit, stay, down, come and heel. When used consistently not only by you but by the other members of your family, your dog will learn to develop the right behavior. Remember to reward your dog only when he shows good behavior. You can also use a leash and collar while training your pet about proper behavior.
4. Is it necessary to train a pup to use the crate? Why is it so? Also, do I need to really get one for our house?
Yes, it is necessary to use the crate. This will be useful not only in your home but also when you travel with your pet. Crate training will keep your dog safe and healthy and when you are able to use it properly, you can be sure to solve behavior problems moving forward and prevent your personal items around the house from getting damaged. If possible, invest in a good and durable crate. The size should be just enough to allow your dog to move around while he’s inside.
5. How important is a dog obedience training? Can I do it myself or do I need to get a professional trainer to help my dog obey what I say?
Dogs need to learn to obey their masters and it is your responsibility as the owner to train them the right way so you won’t have problems later on. Your patience is highly important if you want to do the dog obedience training yourself. Otherwise, you can hire a professional expert in this aspect. It’s all a matter of being firm when giving commands and being consistent in training your puppy so that he learns early on his life.
6. How often should I socialize my dog? Should it be done once or twice a week? What’s the most ideal thing to do when socializing my pet?
A puppy needs to begin the socialization process ideally at 16 weeks of age. This stage will determine their character, temperament and behavior habits as they grow up. It will also influence how the dog will relate to his family, to strangers and other animals. Through this process, your pet learns about his environment and trains him to deal with his new experiences. Remember that all dogs need to be socialized regardless of where you got your puppy.
7. What’s the most effective way of teaching a dog to stop barking? I’m really annoyed by dog barking and I’m particular about our neighbors as well.
Barking is a dog’s natural instinct but you can control this habit and teach your pet to bark only when necessary. Your goal is to live peacefully not only for your benefit but also for the sake of your neighbors. Determine the cause first and avoid rewarding his barking behavior. The most effective commands to use are “stop!” and “quiet!” But say these words gently and firmly without having to yell at your dog. A constant reminder every time your pet barks will also help.
8. Is there a way to comfort my dog before I leave him so that he does not experience that separation anxiety? I always pity him so much.
Experts say around 10 percent of puppies and dogs that have developed a close bond with their masters experience separation anxiety. This is a result when owners leave their pets often in the house for long periods. It’s important to let your pet understand that you need to be apart at times. Make sure you provide a comfortable place for him with fresh water and clean bedding when you leave him in the house. Exercise is also vital in making your dog happy and stimulated. The presence of dog toys is crucial as well.
9. What’s a puppy clicker training? How is this done and what does it do to help a dog? Is it really effective in the behavior training aspect?
This is a good puppy training for behavior issues that follows a positive and reward based method. This entails cooperation, consistency, repetition and positive reinforcement without the use of violence or any harsh methods. The main item used here is the clicker, a plastic toy device containing a metal strip that creates a clear and consistent sound when pressed. Though it has no magic powers, using it helps in understanding how dogs learn, their psychology and how to condition them for effective communication.
10. Do you have some tips on how to choose the best dog training school? What should I look for in a school and their trainer?
The training style should be your top priority. Choose a school that handles dogs well without using violent training methods. The trainers should show expertise in encouraging and rewarding good behavior in dogs. Find out if a clicker training is employed as this is a better method. You may also want to check the reputation and accreditation of the school, the background of trainers, testimonials from previous clients and if possible, attend a few classes to have a good idea of the trainers handle dogs.
11. Is it normal for a dog to go through biting and mouthing? How can I manage this behavior to prevent injury to my family members?
Nipping and biting are natural stages that a puppy goes through. Being active and playful, they just love to bite on things they see around the house even the hands and feet of their owners. But you can control this behavior by using the right methods. Do not slap or hit your puppy in the face as this could lead to more serious behavior problems later on. Also, avoid playing tug of war with them. What’s important is you encourage acceptable behavior and be consistent in your training.
12. How do I properly use a leash for my dog so that he does not easily get choked? What’s the best way to use a leash?
A loose leash is best as you allow your dog to walk comfortably. It also helps keep your dog safe and enjoy your walks together. Training your dog on a leash can be done in two weeks although some can do it in a matter of days. You can start this as soon as you bring home your pet so that he gets used to the collar. Make sure you use a lightweight collar and place it on your puppy while feeding or playing with him to distract his attention. The next step is to introduce the leash so your dog will also be comfortable with it.
13. My dog sometimes displays an annoying behavior and I want to correct that right away. Can you give me more tips on how to effectively do this?
Never yell at your dog if you’re annoyed by his behavior. Be patient enough to give him the proper commands that will make him stop his action. Be firm enough when you give instructions so he knows you’re serious and that he should follow. If this persists and you feel you don’t have the time to teach your pet, you can enroll him in obedience training at a school near your place. This should help him improve on his behavior moving forward.
14. Can I rely on my dog trainer to do the proper training for my pet? How would I know if my dog is being disciplined well at the training school?
You can observe a dog training class if you want to have a firsthand info on how trainers train pets. Professional trainers know their stuff but you can ask around and check out the school’s reputation as well as some testimonials from previous and existing clients. You can ask for referrals as well from friends and colleagues who have utilized a dog training school for their pets. If possible, have a constant communication with the trainer so you would know the progress of your dog.
15. Is it affordable to let my dog undergo behavior training at a dog school? How do I scout for a good school for my pet? I just don’t have the patience to train him.
Not all dog training schools are expensive. There are local schools that offer affordable rates so it’s better that you find one near your home to save you on gas. Make sure you research on a good school for your pet. Find out about the reputation of the school, their trainers and what previous clients say about the training. There might be schools as well that offer a money back guarantee should your dog fails to improve on his behavior after the required sessions.
16. How do you stop a dog from chasing birds in the backyard? I’m annoyed by this behavior because I love to watch birds as they visit my garden every day.
A hunting dog breed has a natural instinct to chase animals. Training is vital but what works for one dog does not necessarily work for the others. Use a leash to avoid him catching the birds then reward him properly when he behaves in the presence of the birds such as when he ignores them or just looks at them. When you see him consistently ignoring the birds, you can remove the leash later on. Rewards can be in the form of a treat, a toy or simply a hug or pat on his head depending on what your dog likes.
17. I’m curious about this clicker training. How do I go about using this method in training my dog? Is it difficult to follow and is it really effective for dogs?
A clicker is a handheld plastic device that has a metal strip and makes a quick and distinctive sound when you press it. Training your dog using this device is a positive and scientific method as it encourages cooperation, consistency, repetition and positive reinforcement. No violence is involved so it has been proven effective since a long time ago. The clicker is normally used to mark the positive behavior as it happens. When this is repeated, the dog eventually learns what he should do.
18. How can I prevent my dog from chewing on my children’s toys and socks? What’s the right way to teach him not to chew on things he sees around the house?
A dog’s biting behavior signals he may be teething or he could be angry with you. Other reasons could be they’re bored, they don’t get much attention from their owners and have no toys to chew on. The best thing to do then is to give him a real bone or a toy bone that he can chew on every time he feels like it instead of biting and nipping on your kids’ toys, pillows or socks. Training is important so be firm enough when you teach your dog not to chew on things other than his toys.
19. I’m so particular about the humping behavior. Why is it that the males often do this and how do I train my dog to stop doing this every time? I need your help.
A male dog usually wants to show his dominance the reason for this humping behavior. Females can do this, too. Sometimes they may just be playing but if this behavior is consistent with the male dog wanting to be more dominant such as he eats the food of the female first and drinks up all the water, you need to correct it. Show them that you are the leader and be firm enough when you command them to Stop. Be consistent in your instructions every time you see this behavior.
20. How long should I potty train my dog? Should this be based on his age and do I really need to use a kennel for this purpose?
You can successfully potty train a dog at about three to five weeks. Starting early is the best way to achieve your goal. Ideally, you should bring them outside 10 to 15 minutes after you’ve fed your pet with food and water. Dogs can hold their urge to pee or poo longer as they grow old. As they get a week old, you normally add an hour. The crate is necessary in training them to recognize it as a comfortable place to be in.
21. How do I teach my dog not to jump on tables when I’m not around in the house? I’ve observed this even when we’re in the house and would like to correct the behavior.
Try the cardboard or solid board technique. Put this on the edge of the table and make yourself disappear by hiding behind a door but make sure you can see your dog. As the dog jumps on the table, the board will fall and will make a loud sound. Dogs don’t like loud noises so when he learns to relate that jumping on the table will create a loud sound, he will eventually stop doing the act. Do this trick several times to make your dog learn.
22. How can we stay away from a loose dog such as when we go to a park? I’ve seen this happen to other dog owners with some of them ending up getting hurt.
Bringing a whistle whenever you go out is helpful. When you happen to meet a loose dog, stay away right away as it can endanger you and your pet. Blowing a whistle can scare the dog away. Immediately call on the owner to alert him or her of his loose dog. Another tip is to just ignore the dog even it keeps following you. Make sure your dog does not show interest in the loose canine so you can easily walk away.
23. I’ve observed my dog growling several times especially when he sees another dog such as when we go out for walking or jogging. How do I stop this behavior?
Growling can be the play or the real one. You will know if your dog is serious and is ready to bite when he looks at you or the other dog straight in the eyes and his body becomes tense. The play type normally emits a short growl with an up and down pitch. If it’s a longer and low growl, chances are it’s a serious one. It’s best that you let a professional trainer handle this issue if you think it’s been a consistent behavior.
24. What’s the best collar to use when training my dog? I’ve heard that the choker collar can harm a canine so I need your advice.
As long as you know how to use the collar properly, you will achieve great results in training your dog. Research about it on the internet or consult a professional trainer particularly on proper fitting and how to use the tool properly. Remember to take off the collar after training. This choke collar is usually the chain type aimed at teaching your dog to heel but keep in mind not to pull too hard to avoid hurting your pet.
25. Is it advisable to use a leash on a puppy while walking it around the neighborhood? I’m afraid it could harm them that’s why I’m asking.
When you have a young pup, you may not really need a leash to walk him around your backyard and your neighborhood. As long as you know you can run after it, you can let it walk around on his own. If you need to use a leash and collar, just make sure the collar is not too tight on the neck to avoid hurting your dog every time you’re walking outside. This is known as a loose leash.
26. Our dog likes digging a lot but now that I have a garden in our backyard, I want him to stop. How can I train him to stop digging?
The terrier breed has a natural tendency to dig which can be difficult to control. In other breeds, however, this can be caused by boredom or a lack of exercise such as walking. What you should do then is to regularly bring your pet outside for a walk so he can get enough exercise. Training is also important so take the time to teach your dog not to do the act or divert his attention every time he attempts to dig.
27. I’ve caught my dog peeing in our carpet several times. I’ve already trained him on this but he still does the act which is annoying me and my husband. How can I solve this problem?
The smell of a dog’s pee is always disgusting. The best thing to do is then is to train him to pee outside the house or in your bathroom on a regular basis. This should be done a few minutes after you have fed your pet. It can be twice or thrice a week such as when they wake up, after eating and after playing. This way, you are creating a routine for them. If you catch your dog peeing on your carpet, make sure to teach him the right place to do it and say No in a firm voice.
28. Is there a standard frequency on taking a dog to pee and poo every day? Should be it done two or three times a day?
Thrice a day would be ideal. That would be after your dog wakes up, after his lunch and after dinner. In case you are out of the house on weekdays while you’re working, make sure to bring the dog out just before you leave and right when you arrive home. An adult dog can hold it longer than a younger canine. At night, you can again take him out after dinner and just before you go to bed.
29. Can I stop my dog from smelling the rear part of other dogs he meet? I’m quite embarrassed by this behavior every time we’re out in the park or walking around the neighborhood.
Sniffing the rear part of the dog is a natural instinct but of course, you can always train your pet not to do this. This behavior is actually a dog’s way of identifying another dog’s personality. The best way to stop this act is to remind the dog every time you see him attempting to do this on another dog. Simply point a finger to your pet and say “No” in a firm voice without having to yell at him. They will eventually know what you mean and won’t stop from sniffing moving onwards.
30. Are wee wee pads effective in training a dog to pee or potty? Are these sold online and at the real stores and are they affordable to use?
The wee wee pads were developed many years ago as a tool to help dog owners in housebreaking their pets. They’re not only affordable but very convenient as well. This is what you place on the floor for your dog to pee or poo when they need to. For puppies, you have to be consistent in putting them on this pad every time they show signs of peeing or pooing. Training is important so always pick the pup up and put him on the pad so he would later recognize that he should eliminate only on that area.
21. Do you have quick tips for training an English Shepherd that won’t take much time and just easy to do? I’d like to start early on my dog so I’m gathering as much info as I could.
Using treats is a good way of teaching a dog to obey you as the owner and leader. For large dogs, however, you will also have to use bigger sized treats. The chow or kibble is okay but you can add cheese, a bone or his favorite toy as well. To let him sit, place the cheese on top of his head so that he looks up at it. This will allow him to associate such act to sitting. If you want him to lie down, first hold the cheese then make him sit as per the first instruction and then hold the cheese lower and drag it across the floor to make your pet lie down.
22. How do I use treats so my dog follows my command? I’d like to be an effective teacher so hope you can help me. And how often should I give a treat?
Giving treats has been a tested and proven way of training a dog to show proper behavior. Give it only when your dog displays positive behavior. For peeing or pooing outside, make sure you give the treat outside when they are done eliminating their waste. When you training a puppy, do it also right after he has done the task you want him to perform. These treats can be in the form of a food they like that they don’t get to eat every day or a bone or maybe even a toy they can play with.
23. Is it advisable to put a puppy outside in our living room at night time? Or should we keep them in our bedroom as well? I don’t want our new pup to get scared so please help.
A puppy should stay close to its owner as much as possible. Think of it as your own baby. It can be frightened when left alone especially at night so initially, you can provide a sleeping area for him in your bedroom while he’s still new in your house. Eventually, you may want to train it to sleep in your kitchen area by providing a comfortable mat or bed or maybe a crate for him where he can be safe and secure.
24. How do I teach my puppy not to follow me everywhere I go? I got her as a gift from my best friend but I’m getting annoyed as she doesn’t want me to leave her even though I’m just close by.
Puppies still need attention and affection so just be patient about her behavior. You’re lucky because other people find it so hard to get their dog to be close to them. You can train her later on to be brave by providing her a comfortable bed where you want her to stay in the house or put the bed on a crate to make her feel safer especially when you’re not around. Do give her toys as well and try to use treats when you start training her. Dogs can be fully trained at about 5 to 6 months old.
25. My dog just doesn’t want other people in the house. What can I do to stop him from continuously barking at our visitors and neighbors? Is this a major problem?
Teach him properly by using the sit and quiet commands. Try to have a friend knock on your door or ring your doorbell but be sure to put a leash first on your dog. When he barks once or twice, tell him firmly to be quiet. Then order him to sit and offer a treat. When the doorbell rings again, he won’t be able to bark now as he’s chewing. Repeat the word quiet then several times so your dog learns to stay put when somebody arrives in your house.
26. How do I teach my 5 year old daughter to handle our German Shepherd? She’s a brave girl but I fear our dog might just snap at her.
Teach your kid not to get too close to the puppy. Her face should not be so close to the dog’s mouth as this can elicit a negative reaction from the dog. Kids often stare at their dog’s face and eyes but dogs consider this act a threat to them so tell her not to do this. Make sure your daughter does not go lower than the dog and teach her to avoid hugging your German Shepherd often especially around the neck.
27. Are dachshunds easy to train? I’m thinking of getting one from my friend who is a breeder of this type of dog but I’m not sure about its capability.
Dachshunds can be lively, friendly, affectionate and outgoing but they can also be stubborn. In terms of training them, though, they can be quite difficult owing to their independence and intelligence. They can actually learn fast if you know how to train them right but sometimes their stubbornness shows. Patience is much needed and if you’re able to exercise this, you can be sure to achieve excellent dogs. Dachshunds are great in problem solving and can best compete in field trial events.
28. Can I get a dachshund for my small home? I live in an apartment and don’t have much space for my dog to move around. I also live alone so not decided yet on this matter.
Dachshunds are very versatile dogs. They can live in a big home or in a small apartment. They are also easy to care for so that should be no major problem for you. Just make sure you provide your dog with a comfortable sleeping area and you give him toys he can play with and entertain himself while you’re not at home. Just remember to let it out for a walk as it requires regular exercise as well.
29. In training a dog, should I also use hand gestures? Are they effective when combined with verbal commands? I’d like to get more advice on this please.
Yes, you can use hand signals if you want. Sometimes, you can just do this without commands particularly when you’re training your pet in a quiet area. However if you wish to train him in a park where there are many distractions, it would be best to use both hand gestures and verbal instructions to get your dog to obey you. Be sure to use a leash as well so that you can control his attention in case he gets distracted by people, other animals and noises.
30. Is it okay to bring my dog to a dog park for some exercise? I’ve heard they’re not safe as your dog could be attacked and could get hurt? Please advise on this.
While dog parks provide a space for owners with small space in their homes, it can sometimes pose danger to your pet. It’s okay if all the pet owners who go there use a leash on their dogs but when some allow their canines to run off leash, the problem begins. Trained dogs sometimes can become aggressive when they’re approached by loose dogs which can end up in fights. So if you’re there, just be sure to stay away immediately when you see a loose dog.
31. How should I handle my dog when he is attacked or approached by an off leash canine at a park? I know I need to protect my pet but what’s the right way?
Your first step is to tell the dog’s owner to control his dog. If the owner, however, is far away, you can just leave the park and report the incident to the nearest police station. Another option is to instruct the dog to back off using a firm and deep voice. If this is not enough, make sure to bring a stick next time you go out to the park. You can use this in the event a stray dog gets into a fight with your dog.
32. What’s the best way to introduce a new dog to our house with an existing dog? Would it be difficult to let them get along well inside our home?
Bringing a new dog to the house can be exciting but make sure you don’t let your new canine go near your existing dog. Hold your new pet first while introducing him to your old dog. You will know through the reaction of your existing pet if he’s fine with the new addition to the family. Constant barking can signal jealousy. If no barking occurs, your dog can be excited to meet his new playmate. Just ensure that you supervise your existing pet and avoid leaving the new one alone.
33. Can a cat get along with a new dog in the house? I have my cat at home but I’d like to get a dog too because I just love to have them around me.
It’s possible to have a cat and dog living harmoniously in the house. You just have to be in control of everything. The first time you bring your new dog home, don’t let it loose right away as for sure, it could hunt your cat and they could get into a fight. What’s important is you introduce the dog properly and constantly to the cat so they can familiarize themselves with each other often. Eventually, they will learn to live peacefully in your home.
34. What’s a working puppy and how do I select one that’s right for me? I’m interested to add another dog in the house but a working type this time.
A working puppy is one that you raise to become active in sports. You need to be hands on in this as training can take much of your time and patience. Also, you need to make sure that you maintain the health of your pup as he grows up because this will be a major factor in what you want him to become. The breed of the pup is also very important so consider those that do well in sports.
35. How do I get a Labrador to stop nipping and biting while playing? Our lab pup seems to be teething that he often gets into the habit of biting me and I’m afraid it could hurt my kid.
It’s normal for puppies to bite while playing but it’s important that you train him not to do this. When he does this, for instance, say “No” in a deep and firm voice and be consistent in doing this so the dog associates the act as not a good behavior. You can also act as if you’re hurt by letting out a cry or yelp when he bites you. Teach your kid to do the same for consistency.
36. Is it hard to train a working puppy? I’m interested in having an active dog that can compete in events and protect my family as well.
Dog breeds that make great working puppies are Labradors, Rottweilers and Newfoundlands. In training your dog, you need to show him that you’re the leader and his master. You can do this by always walking in front of him even when entering a room or walking through doors. Daily exercise is crucial to maintain their healthy body and their energy level. If you need to leave the house, make sure you keep the dog in the crate where he can be comfortable.
37. What’s the right way of connecting with a dog? Is it difficult to establish connection with a puppy? Please tell me what to do so I won’t have a hard time training my pup.
A dog can easily get distracted while inside the house. What you should do then is get his attention by calling his name gently. Praise him the moment he looks your way. In the training aspect, choose a quiet place and make sure that your dog is looking at you when you give your commands. Eye to eye contact is very important in effective communication. Avoid wearing sunglasses because dogs read facial expressions to determine what their master wants them to do.
38. I learned that dogs can also be deaf. How can I know this and how can I train it properly using body language? Looking forward to your advice.
Training a deaf dog requires your commitment and patience. Dogs won’t know they are deaf because they will usually use their other senses to move around. Hand signals can be used to train them with tasks similar to a regular dog but without the verbal commands. In case the dog is distracted, you can just stamp on the floor to get his attention. Make sure you establish eye contact every time you ask him to do a task. Initial words you should focus are sit, stay, down, come, no and stop. Eventually, you can add as he learns and improves.
39. What are the ways to get the attention of a deaf dog? My Aunt’s pup is deaf and she’s asking me for help on how to train her pet.
Since a deaf dog won’t be able to hear your commands, you can instead thump your foot on the floor to get his attention whenever he gets distracted. If this is not enough, wave your hand towards him so he knows you want his attention. Some people use a flashlight or a laser light. It’s important to always have an eye to eye contact with a canine while you’re training it. This way, he follows what you him to do and sees your facial expression.
40. How do I reward a deaf dog when he behaves well and follows what I say? I understand the value of rewarding a good dog so I need more tips.
Give your dog food as a reward. Examples are carrots and other healthy treat. Food is the best reward as a deaf puppy can’t hear your voice. When your dog does his tasks well, a good sign for praising him is clapping your hands. Clapping means good job and success. You can also give him a thumbs-up sign while smiling at the same time. Rewards encourage a dog to be in his best form so do it often and with a smile as much as possible.
41. What are the basic signs to use when training a deaf dog? Do I need to use verbal commands at the same time or it’s not necessary?
The basic hand signals you should use are for sit, down, stay, come, no and stop. Do it one at a time and make sure you have his attention while you’re making the hand signals. Try to get a pocket-sized American Sign Language book to help you. Depending on what you’re comfortable with, it’s okay if you speak while doing the hand signals at the same time. Your dog should look at you straight in the eye and read your facial expressions as you’re training him. You can also put him in the position you want after you’ve given a specific signal.
42. What’s the best way to wake up a deaf puppy? I don’t want to surprise him or wake him in a way that he’ll get startled so I hope you can share some tips on how to do this properly.
You can gently touch the shoulder of your puppy when waking him up. Another tip is to put your hand in front of his nose so he could smell you. When he finally wakes up, give him a treat or show him some love so he won’t be startled or surprised. You don’t want to make you puppy angry right after waking him up so do the best you can to keep him calm and happy. Do keep in mind as well not to touch the dog while he’s sleeping.
43. How should I deal with separation anxiety? I myself have a problem with this because I always pity my puppy every time I leave home for work.
Don’t show too much emotion when you’re leaving and coming home. Make it a simple event without much drama. The first thing you have to make sure is you provide a comfortable bed for your pet regardless whether it’s inside or outside the crate. He has to have his toys as well to entertain him when he gets bored while you’re away. Another tip is to leave him with your unwashed shirt and put it on his bed so he can still smell your scent while he’s relaxing.
44. What’s the best tool to use when playing fetch with a dog? Is it the ball or Frisbee? Or it doesn’t really matter what kind of item you use?
Playing fetch will be most effective after you have taught your dog how to come when he’s called. Utilize a small space such as in a room then toss a ball. Normally, a dog will get the ball but if not, just try again or use a different toy that he likes. When he does get the toy, he should come back to you and right then, offer him a treat and praise him. This will teach him that bringing back the toy will give him a reward. Once you’ve successfully done this, you can stop and do this another time.
45. How much exercise is enough for a dog? Should it just be simple walking or can I also let him run with me when I go jogging around the neighborhood?
It depends on the breed of your dog. Collies need to run a lot and working dogs also need much exercise to keep them active and maintain their energy level. Active dogs normally need more than just an hour of exercise. Ideally though, you can take your dog for a walk or jog about 15 to 30 minutes twice a day. Other than walking, you can play at a dog park or play ball but you can add other activities that you think will work.
46. What can I do to teach my dog to stop pulling on a leash? He seems to be doing this every time I take him for a walk and he sees another dog.
It’s never a good idea to pull back when your dog moves ahead of you while walking and pulls on his leash. What you can do then is to turn around and move to another direction so the dog will follow you. When you do this every time he pulls on the leash, your dog will know that he’s not supposed to go ahead of you while walking. He should learn that a loose leash is needed in order for him to go forward. Do give him a treat as well when he behaves or use the clicker method for praising.
47. What is this dog whispering technique when training a canine? First time I’ve heard of such method but I’d like to try it on my dog.
Dog whispering is a form of communication with your pet and utilizes repetition and positive reinforcement. No violence is involved but rather a soft voice as well as observing, listening, identifying and interpreting a dog’s actions, feelings and needs. Apart from a soft voice, the trainer also uses subtle body movements and scent but again, consistency is very important to encourage the dog to learn what you want him to do. It’s a two way interaction between the dog and his trainer or so called whisperer.
48. How can I become effective as a dog whisperer? Is there any specific technique that I can use to achieve my goals in teaching tricks and obedience to my pet?
Any dog owner who wants to have a well behaved dog can be a dog whisperer. You just have to have a lot of patience and you need to exert effort as well. To start with, study your own dog’s behavior and observe how other dogs interact with each other when you’re at the park, for example. You can also watch a skilled dog trainer while at work if you want to get the right strategies. Otherwise, research on the internet to gather more info.
49. Is it normal for puppies to have this jumping behavior? How can I teach my pup to stop this such as every time I come home?
Experts would tell you that jumping is not a good habit regardless of the size and breed of your dog. While you may allow this when you’re playing, it can cause harm on adults and children as well as damage your clothes or even your hair. You also would not want your pup to fall over and injure himself. The best thing to do when he starts jumping is to ignore him and as soon as he stops, give him a treat or pat him on the head. Avoid shouting as you’re saying “No” because it won’t work. Instead, use the words “sit” or “stay” to make him stop jumping.
50. How do I establish a routine for my dog? I know I should be doing this especially since I work outside the home every day. Please help.
Dogs need routine to maintain their health. If you don’t have children, you and your spouse should help each other. If you have a large family, let the other members do their part in raising your pet dog. Feeding can be done twice a day but be sure you follow the same time every day. Grooming should be done daily as well by brushing your dog’s coat to remove dirt and insects. Bathing can be done once or twice a month while the nails should be clipped regularly. Exercise is important and if possible, this should be a daily activity too. Set the time when you’re available and post a reminder of this on your fridge or on your dresser.